What is Awaken Houston?
Awaken Houston is a city-wide movement of prayer and fasting on unifying the church to strategically pray for and bless the city, one person at a time.
When is Awaken Houston?
30 Days: Monday, January 30 – Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
Where is Awaken Houston?
This month-long journey of prayer and fasting will take place wherever you are located day-in and day-out. This is not about a big event; rather it’s about mobilizing the church to pray for and bless our city in all of the places we live, work, play, and learn.
Who is Awaken Houston for?
This is for any Jesus follower willing to identify people in their life that are far from God and earnestly pray for them, fasting as God leads, for 30 straight days: January 30-February 28, 2023.
What is fasting?
Christian fasting means privately and occasionally choosing to go without food for some special period of time in view of some specific spiritual purpose. (View more resources below.)
- Please email us to let us know that your church will be joining with other churches across Houston for the 30 days of prayer. The only commitment is praying and as able mobilizing your church to pray.
- Leading up to the 30 Days of Prayer some churches will be doing a shared sermon series during the five Sunday’s in January. It’s called Hungry For God and will focus on prayer and fasting. If you’d like to participate here is a link to the sermon outlines. (If you are participating in the sermon series and would like access to the message notes from other pastors please email [email protected].)
- There will be daily devotionals written by pastors from around the city for the 30 days which will be available in January. Follow along on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- Encourage and mobilize people to personally engage in the ways included below: “How Can I Be Involved?”
- Identify people in your life who you believe are far from God. If needed, signup for a free account at blesseveryhome.com to help you identify neighbors around you.
- Commit to pray every day for the 30 days, fasting as the Lord leads you, for the people on your list.
- Trust God to help you bless those on your list with practical expressions of God’s love, hopefully also with the good news of the Gospel.
- On Saturday evening, February 25, from 5:00-6:00 pm, go on a Prayer Walk in your neighborhood, asking God’s richest blessing on the men, women, and children represented in the homes or apartments you walk past. Imagine thousands of people around Greater Houston doing this throughout neighborhoods all across the city.
(Note: Your prayer list of may be made up of people from the various spheres in your life, but during this Prayer Walk you’ll be praying specifically for the people in your neighborhood.)